Saturday, April 5, 2014

Knowing Where Things Come From

Today I went to visit my friend at the place where she is starting a fiber mill....we went into a space where she has her spinning and weaving things along with some of her yarn.

We sat and talked....I worked on spinning some yarn....learning the craft....and she began a weaving project while we listened to Carly Simon, Simon and Garfunkle and all other singers from the 70's on her record player.  We just hung out.

It was an amazing way to spend a late morning/early afternoon.  I'm in the middle of a big transition in my life.  I'm being laid off from my job but everyone I talk to feels like it's a great thing, it's an opportunity for me to make my dreams come true....the garden....our hill....my jelly....all the things I hold dear to my heart are things that I could try to make a living doing.....it's the push the Universe is giving me to stand on my feet and do what I say I want to do.....I'm excited and nervous....and find myself feeling exhausted on this gloomy Saturday, but when I was sitting with my friend, and we worked with fiber it all felt OK....and we talked about how the world could be a better place if people just knew where their stuff came from.

Of course, it's important to know where your food comes from.....to make mindful choices around what you put in your body, and to buy your food locally and as much in it's natural state as you can....and when you garden or raise chickens or beef it helps you realize all that goes into what you're eating.....but why not take it a step further.....learn to make cheese and butter.....know what it takes to make your car run....understand how clothing is made, even how the fabric for your clothes is made.....maybe you don't need to crochet sweaters for your children out of wool you harvested from your own sheep.....but just understanding the process helps you understand the importance of quality....and when you buy even those things as locally as possible your are supporting your neighbor and your community.

When you know how to change the oil in your car it makes it easier to understand the basics of an engine and when something goes wrong you understand better what is causing that....not that you need to fix it, but you can be a more informed consumer.

Anyway.....I guess it's all about getting back to basics....about slowing down.....making jam all Summer as you wait for each berry group to ripen....it slows your life down and you're better able to enjoy each moment of your life instead of waiting for the next big event.

Just some thoughts from a girl in the heart of transition.


1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughts. You make my heart feel better...like I'm being hugged way down deep. Thanks for sharing your life. You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete