Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Zen of Just Having to Clean

I am a hideous housekeeper.....there are just 50 million other things I would rather do....so it's something I swing through on Saturdays.

But, because I have ADD (decidedly without the hyper part of it) it turns into a story like "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie".  If Kaycee is cleaning her kitchen she will see the copper pills and remember that her goats need a copper treatment.  If she goes outside, she will see that the wind has blown about the starts containers she is incapable of throwing away.....if she looks for starts containers, she will notice that the dahlia bed still needs to be weeded, so she'll start weeding the dahlia bed, and then she'll remember she wants to make dandelion jelly, and so she'll go inside to get a basket for the dandelions and chances are, if she goes inside to get a basket, she'll realize that her kitchen needs to be cleaned....

And so today I decided that the only thing I will do is clean the house, and I am focusing on one room at a time and when my mind wanders, I remind myself that this is what I am doing, this room right now.....and I feel like I am accomplishing a lot....and it feels good.  It's good to know that the starts containers, the copper treatment and the dahlia bed and dandelion jelly will wait.....today is cleaning day, and this is what I want to accomplish today.....and it feels good to bring myself back to this task.

And to me, the girl with ADD who would rather do 50 million other things than clean her house, this is a blessing and a joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment