Wednesday, April 30, 2014

When Lilacs Last in Dooryard Bloomed....again

Lilacs are my favorite flower.....I planned a wedding around them.....I've always measured the passage of time by them.  It was one of the many reasons I chose to live in the house we live in.  I wish I had thought about ventilation.....good storage.....something a little more practical then a really cool attic and lilacs....but I digress.

Last year I wrote about "When Lilacs Last in Dooryard Bloomed"....I talked about the poem by Walt Whitman and the stress and joy that went into planning our sweet wedding.....and I find that once again I am taken in by the beauty of the lilacs that are blooming in our door yard....and how again my life has changed so dramatically.

When the lilacs were last in our yard blooming....I was remembering our wedding....but I was also looking forward to a beautiful Summer ahead of us....I was looking forward to breeding our young goats, and finding a way to balance having a full-time job off Island with the life I was trying to build here on our hill.

This year, we decided not to breed our goats.  We decided we wanted to have a milking space built and be better prepared for the ups and downs which come from raising goats.  And so we have our young goats who are very spoiled and who we walk around the property with.  They are a joy and a pleasure to share this space with.


Unfortunately, we have more lilacs this year than last, because we lost their mamma last Summer, and because she loved to eat the lilacs we put her beneath the lilac tree and Gordon planted one just for her.....and it's blooming.....and it reminds us of our sweet Layla who shared just a small bit of time here on Wabi Sabi Hill.


This year I am devoting my time to our hill.....I'm making jelly with the blossoms from our tree....and other jellies and am learning to spin....and crochet....and am planting beautiful things in our garden to share with my beautiful husband at his restaurant....and so I guess I feel more like a farmer than I did last year....and we are one step closer to "living off the fat of the land".



And so today, as I was planting and smelling the lilacs on our tree....and I noticed lilacs brewing in their "tea" so I can make some jelly...again....I feel thankful for the lilacs that in my door yard bloom.....I sit next to them....drinking a beer my husband made....watching the goats who next year will be mammas and I thank the Universe....God....for all that we have been entrusted with.  And I look forward to what next Spring brings our way.....and I am forever thankful for the man who took my hand in May of 2012 and became contractually obligated to share this beautiful life.



2 comments: