Sunday, April 14, 2013

Charley's 12th Birthday

11 years ago today I went to the Everett Animal Shelter because I felt drawn to go there....when I got there I saw the sweetest, coolest looking dog I've ever seen.

He sat at my feet, looking up at me, and I knew he would be mine.  I wanted a calm submissive dog, and he layed on his back....we played ball and connected immediately.

Since that time he's been my constant companion.  He's been with me in dumpy houses, and cute.  He's loved me through back surgery, lost jobs, and broken hearts.  He was the ring-bearer in my wedding....even though he was miserable.
I remember the first time he met my now husband, he ran next to him and looked back at me as if to say, "we've been waiting for him."
He is a frisbee and ball addict....he adores chicken and bacon.  His flaws are he doesn't like strangers and sneaks food out of the garbage can when he thinks we don't know.
He is my life, he is my friend....next to my husband, he is my greatest love....and in a fire, I might alert Gordon and make sure grab Charley.
He's now 12 years old and is slowing down.....what I know about dogs is that they don't live forever....it's something in the back of my mind.  It makes me appreciate every moment I have with him.
Today for his birhtday we made roasted chicken.  He played frisbee and ball with some young friends of mine....not a bad way to spend your special day.
I am blessed because I have one of the greatest dogs ever.  He understand English for crying out loud.
Today is devoted to my friend and companion Sweet Charley.  I love you puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment