Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Letting Go

I've been spending time with a new friend, who is a spinner, and she has been teaching me about fiber.  Last week I went to her house and she let me sit at her wheel and try my hand at some spinning.  As I sat there, with the fiber in my hand, pushing the pedal she said to me, "You have to let go."  I looked at her and said there is something so spiritual about that, and she said absolutely.


And so....this week I've been practicing that....feeling what it feels like to let go....and I have found that there really is a lesson in that.  There are so many things we have to "let go" of.  For me it's the dream of a little "Baby Stewart".....that Charley is not 3....and some day will have to leave us.  It's that 3 year olds LOVE the word "No"....and that's their right.....that MS is part of my life and none of us have any guarantees.

I think really, our whole lives we have to "let go"....we let go of the illusions we have of lovers.  We "let go" of what we thought our lives would look like.....we "let go" of our childhood, we watch our parents age and we realize we need to "let go" of the idea that they will live forever, and we switch places, and eventually are the care givers.

And in this "letting go" we realize we gain so much more....if we are patient we learn that there was something so much better than we ever imagined.

And so, today, I am thankful for the things I've had to "let go" of have come back to me in ways I never thought possible, and I enjoy that the act of "letting go" will all in all make me a better spinner.....and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment