Monday, August 26, 2013

Happy National Dog Day

I really don't know how we could let a day like today pass without sharing what my precious boys mean to me....celebrate the dogs of Wabi Sabi "Farm".

First there's Corky....Corky was a rescue who came to us by default.  For some reason Gordon and I were in Everett and I said "Hey, let's stop by the pound and see if there's a dog there."  This was before Gordon and I were married, and I think before he learned to tell me "no"....and so we did.

We stopped by and looked at the dogs.  We had been having a conversation about getting an "heir" for Charley so that when it was his time to leave, our house wouldn't be empty....and we wouldn't get a dog on a whim.  Gordon said he wanted a Golden Retriever, and so we went to the pound to see if we could find one.

I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Universe brings you the creatures you need, not the one you think you want.  And so we walked around the corner and there was this pathetic creature huddled in the corner of the room....of course I was drawn to him because he was so sad and pathetic.

We took him out, introduced him to Charley and immediately he started wagging his tail and being friendly.
We left him to discuss what we would do....Gordon had a meeting.

Well, long story short we took Corky home.  He had already been brought back to the pound because he was afraid of stair...."Oooh" I thought...."A challenge"  We even had a hard time getting him out of the building because he was afraid of grass too.

Gordon named him Corky after his dad....and Corky became part of our pack.


 It's been a long 2 years with Corky.....he has a heart of gold but has never really learned how to be a dog....and so we've taught him how to potty outside, and we help him succeed by leaving him in a kennel....he gets stressed out at dog parks because of the other dogs....and probably the grass....but he loves going to the bank or coffee stand or ferry but never eats the treats given to him.  He is fascinated by horses and goats and tries so hard to engage the goats in play, but he would never do that with another dog...except Charley.


Corky has been known to walk in the front door of the restaurant when we're home.....he loves people.....he loves us.....he tries like no other dog I've ever known to be a "good boy".  And if I cry he licks my face and watches me with his little Havanese Ears tilting his head to see what's wrong.  Corky needs us.  I imagine that there are very few people who would put up with peeing and fright juice on the couch....he's one of a kind....and we are blessed by our little "Golden Retriever".  Sorry, Gordon.....maybe next time.


 And now there's Charley.....there really isn't enough room in this blog to tell you how special this boy is to me.  He is my split-apart in a dog.  There's nothing he wouldn't do for me.  There's nothing I wouldn't do for him.

He was also at the pound....I remember him putting his back against the cage and looking up at me.  I know that took everything he had because he is so shy.  I then took him out and and we played ball....he sat on my foot and then layed on his back to show what a good boy he was.

I remember the day he met Gordon, and I was so worried how I would introduce them because he has never been very welcoming to new people in his life.  I was walking behind the both of them and he looked back at me with a giant smile as if to say "Yup, we like him".  I knew we were a family.

He fence fights, doesn't like kids, and is obsessed with balls and frisbees.....but he is the second greatest thing that has every happened to me.  If it is possible to share a soul with an animal, he shares mine.  He's been a friend, he's been a companion.  When I was first diagnosed with MS, and I was sick and weak, he was the one who knew I was getting better, and after weeks and weeks of not playing ball, one day he brought the ball to me, and I threw it.  He was the one who pushed me.  He's loved me thin, fat, poor, happy, sad, and now blissful goat herder.

So today we celebrate our boys, we thank Everett Animal Shelter for what they do and for bringing sweet Charley and Corky into our lives.  I believe in rescue....we thought we were rescuing them....but they rescued us.


No comments:

Post a Comment