Sunday, August 18, 2013

Blue Ribbon

Well, I did it.  I made Lilac Jelly this past May....it's a fun jelly to make....it's even more fun to eat.  And so I made the jelly and decided I wanted to enter it in the fair this year.






I was pretty proud of the results and thought I'd go out on a limb and bring it into the fair to see what would happen.

I printed out the recipe and a week ago I turned it in....I spent a week saying good bye to our sweet Layla, and the bright point was wondering what was happening with my jelly.....would I be disqualified.

Today we went to the fair....what I forgot to mention is that the South Whidbey Fair is a splendiferous fair.....it's a small town fair that reminds a person of the fair in "Charlotte's Web"....on Saturday they had the parade filled with quaint things that you would expect from a village parade....the highlight for the Stewarts was that Gordon was in it as part of the "Mister South Whidbey" pageant.  And so he rode in a truck with the other contestants.....he certainly has my vote.  I also enjoy that no one was supposed to throw candy.....but everyone did.  A bunch of scoff-laws.









This fair is not about the concerts or the rides....it's about education and about our community.....I love the exhibits, the goat barn, the dogs, and eating the food.  It makes me proud live in this community.....it makes me proud of my neighbors.....and I really learn.

But back to the jelly....I turned in my jelly and a blueberry syrup.....and with all this waiting I won a blue ribbon for my jelly and a 2nd place ribbon for my syrup.  It wasn't a super deluxe "Best in Show" but it's still an accomplishment....and my sweet little jelly and syrup got a ribbon.....there's room for growth next year.


And so we took time out of our day to visit our local fair, and see the accomplishments of our neighbors....not a bad way to spend a Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment