Saturday, August 3, 2013

Thank You St. Francis

I used to get slack in High School because I would pray for my animals.  I can remember in youth group asking for prayer for my goat, Apple Cory, because she was having a troublesome pregnancy and actually wound up losing her baby twins.  My Youth Pastor told me that I was very compassionate and that I should never lose that.  But I knew in his heart that he really didn't think that God would really want to answer my prayer.

As I got older, I continued to pray for the creatures in my life....I think before I would ever pray for something in my life.  Maybe I felt that God would care for the creatures in my care before he would answer any prayers for me.

As I got older and I learned about St. Francis, I would pray to him....I can't imagine a more Kindred Spirit....if I were to preach, I do believe it would be to the animals.....and I am happiest around my animals, or other people's animals or exploring or sharing my garden.  So if I were to tell anyone about God, it would be the creatures in our world.  I even brought Charley to St. Francis celebrations to get blessings....so I guess you could say he is the one who took me on the bridge back to church.


This week I've been a little worried about our Layla....she has had some tummy trouble and I've been watching her poo like a hawk.  Last Sunday when they asked for anything else for which we should pray, I prayed for my girl under my breath.....I asked for wisdom in supporting her, and that she would be healed.
I emailed my friend and mentor, Vicky Brown, to ask what I should do.  I was so worried because she has trusted me with her Layla, allowing her to retire with us and bring her 2 great future milkers with her....I felt like I was letting her down somehow....letting Layla down.  But even talking about the symptoms helped me to see that maybe she wasn't as bad as she seemed, that she eating better than I first thought....and Vicky is the queen of being clear, concise, yet compassionate.
And so I came home....treated her more aggressively with goat pepto bismol and prayed more.

So...while was outside checking on her, Corky our Havanese-Yorkie mix got into some dark chocolate....I was so worried....the more I investigated, the more I worried.....and as he ran around the living room rubbing against the couches I wondered if it was his normal "piss and vinegar" or if it was the chocolate poisoning him.  Gordon came home, and we fretted and I felt like I had let down all the creatures in our life.





We all woke up this morning and Layla's poo was firming up and Corky made it through the night without even throwing up.  And so today I am thankful for the wisdom that comes from friends and that someone was looking out for our charges.  I am thankful that I never grew out of praying for the sweet creatures in my life....and I am thankful for the peace that comes from knowing there is someone bigger than all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment