Saturday, March 15, 2014

Wabi Sabi Afghan

So....I threw my back out last Sunday.....I'm 86% sure I did it because I danced to C+C Music Factory....but it was bad, and I experienced the most back pain I have ever experienced in my life, and I have had back surgery.

Of course....I did this during the most beautiful week we've had this year, and it killed me.  I was home from work and had nothing to do but sit and watch TV.  The first day I didn't leave my bedroom because I didn't want to know it was such a beautiful day.  But my soul was aching....I wanted to be out in the sun planting or digging....or being with my creatures.  I couldn't even climb the stairs to my "Making Room" so I could do something up there, or at least water my veggie starts that are growing up there.

BUT....I have a basket of yarn....yarn from projects like "cheater knitting" a hat and scarf for Gordon, or my niece years ago....yarn that I learned to crochet with and the yarn I used to crochet 2 scarves for me, after I began to learn to crochet.

I am a novice when it comes to crocheting, and so I really don't know how to do anything more than the squares I've crocheted or the 2 scarves I made, but I thought "I want to make a blanket out of my yarn"

And so....lying in bed.....and eventually sitting on the couch....I began my project using stitches I made up because they worked.....I still don't know the name of them....or if they are even stitches....but I did....I made a square using the pinkish yarn I used for my first scarf, and then crocheted around that using the orange yarn I learned to crochet with....and as I did that I realized my square was crooked (I didn't really count).

But I realized that the blanket was Wabi Sabi....Perfectly Imperfect....the whole philosophy Gordon and I base our lives on....and so I worked on this piece, realizing that everything about it was imperfect....but it was still beautiful....and it's made with yarn I have loved and kept over the years....even a small piece of the first yarn I ever spun....And like this life I live with my husband, our scary cat....or old dog and our little dog who doesn't know how to be a dog....and our  goats who really are perfect, but live in a house that is not, this blanket is also not perfect.  It would never win a prize at the fair....I wouldn't even know what to say the stitch I used was....but it's beautiful to me, because of the imperfections...there are missed stitches and I'm sure I connected the yarns incorrectly but it is mine....it's the work I started.

And yesterday, I used the last of the yarn I had, and I decided to not go to the craft store to get more yarn....I have decided that my blanket will be a work in progress, and when I find yarn for projects, or find fiber that I spin myself or other yarn that just speaks to me, I will add it to my blanket.....my Perfectly Imperfect blanket that is a reflection of me, my "farm" and the life I share with my husband and all our creatures here on Wabi Sabi Hill.


And it will join the afghan made by my Mother-In-Law....the one made for us by Gordon's Aunt Ida as a wedding gift and the one my best friend's girl friend made for him years ago that somehow wound up in my collection....and it will be proud and treated as well as any piece of art that adorns our little sunlit living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment