Monday, March 17, 2014

Lavender Jelly


 When Gordon and I were planning our wedding, we decided to have jams and jellies for each table as gifts for our guests.  And so I spent a year and a half making jelly and jam.....and what I discovered is that I LOVE making jams and jellies.....and more than that I think I'm pretty good at it.

The wife of Gordon's mushroom guy suggested that I make lilac jelly because that was what my flowers were going to be.....and I found a recipe on a website and I made it....and I had one of those moments I've been having a lot of since I met my sweet husband....the moments that I find that little bit of passion.

My friend and goat mentor suggested that I maybe start making botanical jellies....and that planted a seed....and I'm sure to her frustration.....I waited....and let the thought fester......and then I met another friend who rekindled the "maker" in me....and I made some Green Tea Ginger Jelly....which I shared with people (used them as beta testers) and the maker in me grew even more.

This morning I woke up to sunshine....and when there's sun and the feeling of Spring.....and Spring is 3 days away.....I decided I wanted to make some botanical jelly.

But alas.....March in Western Washington is not known for having flowers growing....except for daffodils which I can't imagine would make very good jelly.....and so I raided my pantry....and what I found was...


 Lavender Wind Whole Culinary Lavender.....and so I soaked the bag of lavender in 4 cups of hot water for about 6 hours

And then I strained the lavender into the cooking pot.


 And I added 2 packets of liquid pectin.....and brought it to a boil.


And then I added 8 cups of sugar and brought it to a boil for 1 minute


And then I put the jelly into jars and put in my hot water processor for about 20 minutes.....and voila!!!  Lavender Jelly from Wabi Sabi Hill using local Lavender.  


What I have learned is that it is very sweet....so I think we will cut it lemon next time...but here it is....Lavender Jelly.....look at that color!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment