Monday, July 22, 2013

Punkin Flower

One of my favorite movies of all time is "A Walk in the Clouds".  Although I think Keaneu Reeves is a hideous actor, I adore Anthony Quinn and I love the 40's and I love things about Spanish people.  One of my favorite scenes is when they're eating the Pumpkin Flower Soup.  I was fascinated by the idea of making a soup from pumpkin flowers.

A few summers ago....(ironically right after I met Gordon) I had pumpkin flowers in my garden, and so I thought I'd make some.  I even called him to ask if I used the stamen of the flower because I knew that Gordon was the expert on cooking with flowers.  And so I made this amazing soup, that quickly became one of my favorite soups of all time.  It's carefully and thoughtfully prepared, and because pumpkin flowers are only around a little while in the summer, and so you make it and freeze some.  If I were to have a signature dish, it would be Pumpkin Flower Soup.  

When I first moved to the Island I got some squash flowers at the Bayview Market and made some soup for Gordon....I just couldn't find any Epizote and I used Tarragon.....not the same, but still good, but I know it wasn't life changing.

So, this year I've been watching the squash flowers in our garden come and turn into zucchini and punkins, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for Epizote....I planted some in the Spring, but it didn't take, and so I sadly watched all the flowers turn into the veggies they were supposed to.....or so I thought.
Today Gordon picked me up at the ferry, when I got in the car he told me that he had trimmed the girls' hooves for me, which is really a 2 person job....but he did it.  We had a plan to do it when we got home.  So I said that we could stop for Mexican Food....he told me he had made dinner.  He wanted me to guess what it was.

Well I guessed that maybe it was Chicken and Grits....he said no.....I asked if it was pork or chicken or beef....he said that it was made from the bounty of our garden.  I asked if it was squash based.  He then pulled out Epizote....I knew then.....my adoring husband made my very favorite soup. 
He had picked the flowers, carrots, onions and cilantro from our garden to feed me....this lucky wife.....and so he made a soup from very far away with things from our very own backyard.....he thought of this very special soup and wanted to make it for me.....his biggest fan. 
And so we came home.....the man who loved me more than anything made soup FOR ME!!!!!  The chef has followed a recipe to make my favorite soup.  And made margaritas with the blueberry syrup I just made this weekend with blueberries he had bought at the Bayview Market because it's one of my favorite berries.

Three years ago this weekend this romance began.....this man has changed his whole life to support me and feed me and believe my dreams.....to encourage me to follow them.  He works hard for us....for this life....and still takes time to make my favorite soup....to find an herb we've been searching for 2 years.  




No comments:

Post a Comment