Friday, July 19, 2013

Like a Book

It was a scene right out of a book......Gordon had made a plan for our Monday dinner....first he picked me up at the boat.....right on time.....my sweet darling husband waiting for me in the loading zone, truck filled with our boys....Charley looking past all the other commuters....looking for me....seeing me and his sweet eyes looking at me....what kind of life is this that I have my darling boy looking at me, and my husband who loves me in the drivers seat, sporting his new glasses that he got at Costco.  This is what was waiting for me as I came back to the Island.....the place where my home is.....and Gordon said to me "Hungry?"  Of course I was.
And so we drove up our hill, we came around the bend and there it was.....under the oak tree by our house was a spread beyond compare.....oysters on the half shell.....smoked salmon.....crab.....shrimp....chilled wine....all on a table with flowers from our yard.....all prepared for us.  And so we feasted.  It really felt like it should be a magazine spread.  We sat, talked about our day, and talked about our life, threw the frisbee for Charley and talked to the girls.
We enjoyed ourselves, we laughed, and swatted at the flies....then the wind started.  It was so amazingly lovely....except for the wind, and then the flies....and then the hornets came, landing on the food, we continued our quiet little evening, slurping oysters, tasting things, drinking the wine, the smell of the beach coming to us.....we tried to ignore the inconveniences of the bugs and the wind.  But then as we sat, I saw a a hornet grab a piece of smoked salmon.  I couldn't believe it.  We continued to eat and try to enjoy the beautiful meal my sweet husband prepared, enjoying the flavors of the seafood and sipping on the crisp wine.  Then a hornet came and grabbed a piece of salmon almost the size of him.
We decided to go inside before the hornets tried to carry Corky off.
When we came inside we talked about how the meal was, Gordon felt bad that the bugs ruined it.  But they didn't.  This lovely meal which was romantic and beautiful, thoughtfully prepared which looked like it could have been in a culinary magazine, prepared by a world class chef just for us.  Eating from our garden and the Pacific, tormented by vampire flying creatures carrying off chunks of salmon and shrimp almost the size of themselves.
What a beautiful life
 

No comments:

Post a Comment