Monday, June 24, 2013

Junuary

I hear a lot of complaints about the weather this time of year.  I don't know if it's because I'm from here....or because I just love gray days.....but I have no complaints about June in the Northwest....part of my childhood memories are the last few weeks of school being beautiful and then right after we get out of school it rains....it rains and rains and rains until well after the 4th of July....this is the weather Northwesterners are famous for....sweaters, shorts, sandals and socks....I love having the windows open and hearing the rain hit the bushes outside my window.  I even like being freezing cold on the 4th of July as we watch the fireworks.
Today was no exception....I'm working early this week and so I came home....complained sufficiently about my job and then asked Gordon if he wanted to go out and work in the garden with me....the sun had come out.  So we went out and immediately we were in a downpour....but the beautiful part of it was, was that the sky was kind of pink....and so in our T-Shirts we got the hay for the girls who were hunkered down in their house, and then mucked....with the sound of the rain hitting the roof.....tippity tapping....it was warm still and I liked the cold rain on my arms.  
I like the way things hurt your fingers when they're wet...and I was trying to unscrew the hose and I couldn't because it was slick and it made my fingers sting.  I like the feeling of being in a bit of a hurry when it rains because you want to go inside and dry off....I'm not going to lie, I like the smell of wet dogs on a day like today.  I like the sound of the rain dripping off full leaves on the trees and the way the garden sparkles when it rains.  
August and September will be here soon....the sun and warmth will be here.....I will cover my tomatoes with garbage bags so they can get warm enough to make some beautiful tomatoes.....I like this time of year....I like the feel of soggy flip flops and the way they slide on the grass in the rain.  I wouldn't trade this area for anything. 
And so you haters....when you're complaining about the weather and the cold and the wind....remember this is what makes our area so green.....it gives us blackberries and lettuce and peas and happy things.....this area  is gorgeous and we are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment