Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Beasts of Gordon's

Years ago when Gordon and I were keeping company, he made me a beautiful meal at the restaurant....it was a Monday, so it was just the two of us, and he created a feast and "took me around the world" with flavors and textures.....I don't remember the specific foods he served, but what I do remember was going for a walk with him around the restaurant and standing in the herb patch and looking over at an abandoned house next door and as Gordon hugged me (we weren't to the kissing stage yet) I realized that I had found my split apart....and so in the embrace of my old friend, I looked over and saw the boarded up yellow house and I made a wish that someday we would live in that house and create a "farm to table" restaurant where I would provide the meat, cheese and veggies for him.

Fast forward 4 years and we're in that house, and I realize that I don't have the financial means to make all those dreams come true.....but in our small way we are realizing that dream....I grow some of his flowers.....some of his veggies....and we house the "Beasts of Gordon's"

As most of you know we have our little menagerie of animals here on Wabi Sabi Hill.....2 beautiful goats, 2 dogs and a splendiferous cat....all of which feel that the restaurant is just an extension of their home.

There's sweet Charley who when I need to run over to the restaurant, and the doors of the house are open, I tell him to "stay" and he does.....usually.....but every now and then I will leave the kitchen and will see a customer, usually a "regular" holding a frisbee....smiling as Charley has invited them to engage in a quick game either before or after dinner.....I'm sure it aids in digestion.


There's darling Corky.....who is deathly afraid of the kitchen and all it's sounds....but if he gets over there and I find him, is usually getting a quick belly rub from some patron.


There's Nigel who greets customers and I've heard from many people that they see him or he has come by.....one time Gordon had to bring him home because he had walked into the dining room.....and why not....he IS Nigel.


But the best is my girls....these timid creatures who when we were getting ready to bring them to our house, they would hide behind their mamma and would have to be coaxed with peanuts and  evergreen branches just to let us touch them.....these girls are apparently show girls.....they ADORE attention.....and one day when I had let them out while I was cleaning their house (just around dinner time) they found their way over to the restaurant.  And so I came over with their garbage can filled with peanuts (which usually makes them do anything I want) and as I was trying to entice them with peanuts, they heard their friend Analiese laugh....and so they ran to her.....Gordon came out of the kitchen and so they ran to him.....and just then some guests were coming to have some dinner and Gordon went to greet them, and he was surrounded by our goats, dogs and cat....all of them being fed, petted and adored by these people who'd never been.  It was difficult to get the girls to leave the party....they were STARS!!!!!!  Which is funny because I always sing the song "Sisters" from White Christmas to them when I'm feeding them....and so they were Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen surrounded by fans.


With the help of the chef, I did get them home....but it took some doing....the LOVED the spotlight.

And now I am leash training them so at least they can be completely under my power if they go to visit patrons again.

And so....the vision I had of a "Farm to Table" place is.....as it is with most things.....not what I planned....but what I needed....and all of these creatures who came to us timid, scared, a little shy have all grown into the life of the party.....just like their papa....Mister South Whidbey himself....and I don't think I'd have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment