Saturday, May 4, 2013

Getting Grounded

It's a beautiful morning, certainly the best we've seen all year, so I was up at 7 (still sleeping in for me) made some tea, fed the boys and the girls and got to work planting some things in the garden.
As I was working, I was thinking of something I heard on the radio last fall about grounding.  The man was talking about standing in his garden without shoes, and how that felt.  As I listened, I thought of the kids I work with and how, living in the city, and probably apartments, they never get to take their shoes off and stand in the ground.  I talked with a co-worker and we both wondered if that was what some of their problems were, they just don't get to be barefoot in the dirt.  I never thought about how that would help me.
And so....today being Garden Naked Day....I decided to do what I felt comfortable doing, and at least take my shoes off.  Remembering what the man on the radio had said last fall.
Electricity shot through my body as my feet touched the cool damp earth.  The coolness brought back feelings of my childhood and how good it felt squishing through my toes.  I was suddenly revived, I had energy to spare....I hoed and planted, covering the seeds with my feet and smooshing the dirt between my toes.  What?  Was my floor going to get dirty when I came inside?  No dirtier than what the dogs aleady do.  I was alive....I felt like 7 year old me....indestructible....powerful....I felt like every woman....I was a creator....a nurturer.....someone who loved her patch of ground....someone who was caring for her patch of ground....I was proud and connected.
When I was done, I washed off my feet and my plastic garden shoes and came inside and kissed my lovely husband.
And so, my fellow earth dwellers....I encourage you to take your shoes off and feel the grass and earth beneath your feet.  I truly is an amazing grounding exercise.




No comments:

Post a Comment