Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sunset Dog

He sits on the back porch, warming his tired bones
His hair matches the color of the leaves that are changing on the maple in the front yard.
He's slowing down.....ever so slightly....this ginger dog of mine.
But this afternoon, that isn't on his mind....he's just sitting on the back porch as the sun sets, his head drooping, his eyes closing in a nap.

I wonder if, when he dreams, if he dreams of the days when he could play without tiring.....does he dream of the days when it was just the two of us....no Corky, no goats, no angry cat.

And so, my friend, this boy who's been by my side for 12 years is turning gray.....his eyes are a little milky, but they sparkle if there's the promise of a ball....or a frisbee....or bubbles.....he limps if he's played too much frisbee....or when it's cold....but he runs through the woods like a wild dog.

I'm so thankful for my sweet Charley....this boy whose been by my side since I was 32....we've seen a lot together.....but he always has a smile for me.....and I am blessed that he chose me all those years ago.


3 comments: